PVW Partners and wilson/ryan/grose have jointly prepared commentary for the 'Mandatory Code of Conduct' for landlords and tenants in retail, office, industrial and other commercial properties and the 'Retail Shop Leases and Other Commercial Leases (COVID-19 Emergency Response) Regulation 2020'
Assistance measures available for tenants and landlords:
- Mandatory Code of Conduct:
- The National Cabinet has announced a Mandatory Code of Conduct in relation to commercial tenancies. The Code provides a range of principles that landlords and tenants must consider when negotiating lease arrangements during the COVID-19 crisis. Each State Government will seek to legislate the Code specifically in their respective jurisdiction. More information available here.
- PVW Partners and wilson/ryan/grose have jointly prepared commentary for the 'Mandatory Code of Conduct' for landlords and tenants in retail, office, industrial and other commercial properties. This can be found here.
- Commercial Leasing Code:
- On 28th May, The Queensland Government implemented commercial leasing principles to mitigate effects of COVID 19 on small business tenants. During period 29 March 2020 to 30 September 2020, businesses with affected leases may not be evicted or have their lease terminated for non-payment of rent, may not have their rent increased and must have their rent reduced in proportion to their lost turnover. Click here for more information.
- Residential Tenancies:
- The Queensland Government has announced several proposed measures to support sustainable tenancies in the residential rental sector during the COVID-19 pandemic. To learn more about the proposed measures, and access tenancy information and support click here.
- COVID-19 Rental Grant:
- The COVID-19 Rental Grant is a one-off payment of up to 4 weeks rent (maximum of $2000) available to those who have lost their job due to the impacts of the pandemic and do not have access to other financial assistance. The grant is paid directly to your lessor. More information available here.